Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Backroads Blessings

Usually my posts are fairly short, so I hope you won't get bored with my rambling today! I found it difficult to summarize our drive on some country roads yesterday . . . way, way back country roads! We visited some old homeplaces, a beautiful little church and rode for miles admiring God's creation. Feel free to click on the pics to enlarge them, and I hope you enjoy the ride!


I was struck by the stillness of the old homeplace where this swing hung motionless 
on a long, long dusty porch. 


 
I was amazed at the longevity of these handmade, original log gutters that run the length of the porch and  and empty into a cistern.  I'm not sure that much water reaches the cistern now because of straw and leaves filling the gutters.


.
If these walls could talk, the stories would be endlessly woven together with happy times, sad times, and God's presence.  It's a special place to me for several reasons.  I have fond memories of visiting the services held here many years ago, and I can still hear Aunt Ollie's beautiful, clear voice as she led the small congregation in old hymns.  In a corner of the peaceful churchyard, she and six other family members were laid to rest - among them, Aunt Sallie.


.
Aunt Sallie lived not far from the church and spent many happy hours in her little house in the woods . . . making sassafras tea, hunting, gardening and enjoying her quiet life. She's been gone a long, long time, but the cistern she used still stands . . . sturdy and strong . . .
 just like  Aunt Sallie!


We drove for miles, not meeting one vehicle . . . just enjoying the quietness, the simple beauty of the wildflowers, the abundance of grapes and huckleberries, the longleaf pines, and cool, clear creeks. 


Solitude and the beauty of God's awesome creation are good for the soul! We  returned home feeling blessed to have visited the past but also to have been so keenly reminded of God's mercies and blessings that are new every morning! The God who met with that small group of people at Good Hope Baptist Church long before I was born and who was so real to Aunt Ollie and Aunt Sallie is still alive and well!

No doubt about it . . . we saw Him on those backroads!


16 comments:

Dorothy said...

I dearly love trips down backroads! Especially backroads that bring back precious memories. Your pictures (which I enlarged) are all wonderful. Thanks for letting me take this trip with you!

Karin said...

Oh, how I love driving down country roads - even up north here! Thanks for the lovely, well documented travelogue! Beautiful photos and meaningful memories of the sweet old folks of yesteryear! Now that I'm getting older though, I don't trust myself to be too far away from home on the dusty back roads. Wish hubby loved this and we could do it together!

Ginny Hartzler said...

You actually have me in tears now. Thank you so much for the trip. The pictures are wonderful as always, but your narration is certainly even beyond them...your wistful memories of these places and people long ago. I love the Spanish Moss hanging down over the building, kind of framing it. I love driving down country roads, and we have been doing a lot of that lately. But I do get nervous when they turn to gravel. Also the fact is that no matter how far in the country and isolated we drive, there is ALWAYS at least one car tailing us so we cannot stop or slow down for pictures. We have to turn around and find a driveway, usually with big dogs barking for us to go away.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the trip down the country roads so much. It's lovely to remember those special loved ones from our past. Such beautiful photos you have shared.

Mari said...

What a wonderful drive! I love going down country roads and seeing these places that are so memorable to you was wonderful. I've never seen log gutters - very cool!

Anneliese said...

Beautiful! So true! It's a blessing to have such treasured memeories so close to home.

lil red hen said...

I loved the pictures and allowing us to see God in the backroads too.

Kathy said...

I loved looking at your back roads country photos. I love taking roads I've never been down before. There's always something waiting around the bend.

Connie said...

What a wonderful day that must have been. Beautiful memories..

S. Etole said...

Thank you for inviting us along on your very special drive. I favor the back roads and the things that were and how they leave you wondering.

Connie said...

What a lovely post and lovely photos, Glenda. That sounds like a peaceful trip. I enjoyed this. :)

Southern Lady said...

What an inspiring way to start my day, Glenda. Beautiful pictures ... and such sweet memories. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

what you saw and shared here....I think are the best things ever. They resonate peace....and inspiration. Have a beautiful Thursday out there....

Leslie said...

It looks like a beautiful drive (I love the wild daisies.) And it IS refreshing to rest and contemplate His handiwork...

AMT said...

Enjoyed this post Mom... Thanks for the thoughts!

Andy

Jessica said...

What a great post!! I love looking at photos, remembering the past!!

I think this is my first visit to your blog, please stop by my blog and say hello as well and become a follower if you aren't one already at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com