Saturday, June 19, 2010

Choose Life!

Life is like a game of chess, in which there are an infinite number of complex moves possible. The choice is open, but the move made contains within it all future moves. One is free to choose, but what follows is the result of one's choice. From the consequences of one's action there is never any escape.
~S. Smith~

I place before you Life and Death, Blessing and Curse.
Choose life so that you and your children will live.
And love God, your God, listening obediently to Him,
firmly embracing Him.
Deut. 30:19 - The Message


I choose to believe that You are faithful
And my heart is in Your hands,
And this mystery that I face today
Is part of a greater plan.
I choose not to be discouraged
When the sun will not break through;
I have the choice of trusting You,
So Lord this is what I choose.

I know this road will not be easy;
I know I’ll have my weaker days,
And Satan will tell me I don’t mean it
When I say, “I’ll trust God all the way.”
But that doesn’t really matter;
I refuse to hear him out.
With my faith I’ll find the power
That will overcome all doubt.
Lord, I’ve never felt so strong
As when I’m resting in Your arms.

~Lyrics by Rodney Griffin - Sung by Ivan Parker~

11 comments:

Karin said...

Thanks so much! Such an encouraging poem - needed that tonight!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I don't know this song, but the words stand alone. Yes, a chess set represents very well the consequences of our actions, I would not have thought of using that as an illustration. If we knew the reason for everything, then we wouldn't need faith, would we? Great Sunday post!

G. Ames said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
WhiteStone said...

I have to choose "life" daily. When I hop out of bed I thank God for another day. Cancer will do me in sooner or later. It may take years to do so. But in the meantime I want to wring joy out of each moment the Lord leaves me here on earth.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Love the words to this poem/song.... VERY powerful.

Happy Father's Day to you and yours...
Hugs,
Betsy

S. Etole said...

A strong message that we can choose ...

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The choice is always ours to make and It's wonderful that we've been given the freedom to make that choice.I'm hoping your Sunday is a great one!

Southern Lady said...

Words well chosen! Thanks for the encouraging post! Carla

Dawn said...

The chess analogy is perfect. Especially since I absolutely don't understand the rules - just like life! But get this - Care Bear (age almost 8) gets it and plays with her grandpa!

Glenda said...

Dawn, I don't play chess either, but our nine-year-old granddaughter does; that's her hand in the pic. She and her Poppa are playing.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Glenda,
I sure love this poem/song. This is such an uplifting posting and it's so true about the choices we make. I like the anology of playing chess with the choices and consequences of life.