Saturday, April 2, 2011

Heavenly Sunlight


Our plum tree is loaded with small plums like the one you see above. I took this pic just as the sun was going down, and it was breathtaking . . . heavenly! Slowly sinking out of sight behind the trees, its glowing orange color was extraordinary. I placed myself and the camera in a rather uncomfortable position in an attempt to capture the plum in the center of the sun. Not exactly dead center, but I like the way it turned out!

Just as the plum tree needs the sun to produce its fruit, so do I need the Son to produce fruits of righteousness in my life . . . love, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self -control. I can't do it own my own no matter how hard I try; I must place myself in His Light - dead center - letting Him shine down in my heart daily and cleanse that which would produce bad fruit. And I can tell you for sure . . . He's still working on me - and will do so until I stand in His presence! I'm so thankful He doesn't just sever me from the Vine because my patience fruit hasn't matured as it should!

And, oh yes . . . I must accept the painful pruning process, too! But the gentle Gardener knows exactly what I need to grow and mature - even when the pruning seems so harsh to me, and I groan with each touch of the pruning tool. He'll do whatever it takes to keep me in the center of His will so that I can reflect His light.

I like this verse of the old hymn Heavenly Sunlight, which expresses where I want to be:
Shadows around me, shadows above me,
Never conceal my Savior and Guide;
He is the Light; in Him is no darkness.
Ever I'm walking close to His side.
~Henry J. Zelley~


10 comments:

S. Etole said...

That's lovely ... it almost appears to be a heart behind the plum.

HalfCrazy said...

Hey there!

That is indeed a beautiful picture. And to really get that shot you desire, sometimes you really have to shift into uncomfortable positions!

Anonymous said...

What an extraordinary photo, Glenda. Such a beautiful post. Wishing you a lovely week.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Very nice, Glenda, comparing the sun to our son --which we need for nurturing and growth....

Fabulous picture --of the sun behind the plum tree... AWESOME.

Back from vacation --trying to catch up a little!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

WhiteStone said...

That was a great photo to illustrate a great devotional. Thanks, Glenda. I constantly need pruning!

Connie said...

Beautiful.......such food for thought.

Dawn said...

One of the great old songs - does your church still sing hymns?

Wonderful pictures, as usual! I'd love to see you in action!

Brother Gene Phillips is down there holding a couple of revivals. Did you know that?

Beth said...

Beautifully done -- both photo and words. Touched me deeply.

Nancy said...

Great picture!! Love the thoughts too! That's always been one of my favorite hymns. I used to love it when we'd sing it on a bright, sunny Sunday morning at Friendship. I'll have to request it soon! :)

Karin said...

I was blessed by your deep, devotional thoughts and this picture! Very well done Glenda!