Thursday, August 30, 2012

Emily's Joy



Sixteen-year-old granddaughter Emily and her family live near the Gulf Coast and have been pounded with rains and winds. Thankfully, they are safe! Yesterday she posted these words on her Facebook:  

Joy (noun)- Dancing and spinning and giggling like a three-year old in the middle of a hurricane, barefoot and sopping wet, with rain pouring down and floodwater up to the scar in the middle of your shin, while your brother and sister are splashing and running and jumping and laughing around you... and realizing you haven't smiled this widely and this long in days. :) ♥

And as I smiled, I thought:  I think there is a sermon or song or two, an analogy, a lesson in those lines!

I think the song has already been written!  Thanks, Deron, for bringing it to my attention again this week:
   And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm


Em's definition is a wonderful symbolic picture of dancing in the rain . . . in the storms of life.  And we all have them in varying sizes,
intensities and durations.

I'm reminded that:
 a "dancing-in-the-middle-of-a-hurricane" attitude is a choice
you have to risk getting wet
some will shake their heads at your attitude and actions
having a family "celebrate" with you always helps
you may be reminded of previous storms as the water sloshes 
around your "scars"
"scars are a sign of healing"
feelings of joy run deep and don't depend on weather forecasts and surrounding floodwaters
joy splashes onto others

I also know that I must not be critical of those who have not yet been able to "praise You in this storm."  I'm certainly not the poster child for this kind of faith, but I'm leaning and learning!

I'm thankful that "I know the Master of the winds.  I know the Maker of the rain." And by way, Em knows Him, too - in a very real way!
In spite of anything and everything swirling around me,
I know that He is in control.
And that's where my joy comes from!

Thanks, Emily, for a priceless reminder! 



15 comments:

Mari said...

Beautiful picture! Your grandaughters desription of joy is perfect - made me joyful just reading it!

Dorothy said...

Wonderful!! Love the "Praise Him in the Storms" part. In the storms of our lives we focus on God more perfectly and give Him our full attention. In the storms of my life, I feel that I have praised Him more perfectly. After all we are to praise Him in ALL things!! Thanks!!

Nancy said...

Glenda, this is BEAUTIFUL!! Love it!

Connie said...

This is a lovely post, Glenda. We do have a choice whether we want to be happy and look for joy or not. This is a wonderful reminder.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words by you and your granddaughter.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Aren't you proud of your granddaughter? That is beautiful.. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Love your header also... WOW!!!

Prayers for all in your area who have been harmed by the storm and flooding.
Hugs
Betsy

Anneliese said...

What a special gift we have to know that He is with us in the storm and will never leave our side. That is a peace that passes understanding.

S. Etole said...

Such an uplifting post all the way around.

Leslie said...

Lovely photo (and I'm glad your family is safe.)

Connie said...

So beautifully put and by such a young person. What a blessing she must be to you. So many young people are just drifting along it seems. God bless her.....

Southern Lady said...

Emily sounds a lot like her gramma! What lessons we can learn from our children and grandchildren!! Thank you, Glenda for visiting and commenting on Carson's blog! The encouraging words mean a lot to her. -Carla

Nikki (Sarah) said...

the Master of the Winds...and storm. I was watching the news about the hurricane and wondering how can anyone rebuild after that....and yet...your post shows no matter what....we can reach for Him...and there's absolute joy. Love your words...love your faith....

Anonymous said...

"Pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." I Thes. 5:17&18 Some years ago, during a great trial, I repeated these verses over and over. It helped!

Karin said...

Wow, that was precious and so well written! Sure glad they are safe and can praise the Lord in the storm! Beautiful and I can certainly relate with Em's sentiment! Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen said...

Such a lovely collaboration!