Monday, February 23, 2009

On the Road . . . Again

Someone has said: Jesus' home was the road along which He walked with His friends in search of new friends. I think He still travels the roads of each of our lives - and He never walks too fast nor lags behind us.

Sometimes we walk alongside Him, talking to Him, learning from Him.

Sometimes we stop to rest, gaining new strength and getting refueled for the journey ahead.

Oftentimes, if we are sensitive to His voice, He asks us to sit down for a lesson, maybe even a much-needed correction. At those times I'm tempted to just keep walking! But when I choose not to stop and listen - and obey, I always run into trouble somewhere down the road.

At other times we walk slowly - enjoying the scenery and most of all, His presence. We stop and smell the roses, listen to the birds sing, and bask in the Light of His love.

Now and then, He says to us, "Hurry! Run! Someone down the road needs your help - now!" And He's there to run alongside us.

As we travel, our eyes sometimes get full of dust from the road, and so we must stop long enough for Him to touch our eyes. Then we can focus more clearly on Him and on those who are off the road - those who have lost their way and have decided to call it quits.

How many times have we needed Him to touch our hearts so that we want to reach out to those who live on the wrong side of the road and whose lifestyles are so very different from ours? He always has time to take what's wrong and make it right - if we ask.

And He always - always - says: "Bring a friend . . . and another . . . and another. . ."

Jesus will walk with me. He will talk with me; He will walk with me. In joy or in sorrow, today and tomorrow, I know He will walk with me.

No comments: