Monday, March 9, 2009

Just a Cup of Coffee . . .

Today I was reminded once again that it's an awesome blessing to be an American! Those who know me well know that our military men and women, both past and present, hold a very special place in my heart. My husband is a former Marine (and is still a Marine!) and our younger son is now a Navy officer after serving 11 years in the Marines. So, it's true . . . I really do love our veterans! I was made more aware of my appreciation for them today, and I cherish the opportunity I had to give back to them in just a tiny way.

For a couple of hours this afternoon, my former Marine and I served free coffee and snacks to the veterans at the Veterans' Hospital not too far from our home. What an honor! It was incredible to witness the gratitude of these men and women, some in wheelchairs or walking with the assistance of a cane, as we handed them a cup of hot coffee. Just a cup of coffee! Some told us how they appreciated us serving them; others said the same thing with their eyes and their smiles. Even as we walked to the car, one gentleman remembered us and said, "Thank you for taking the time to serve us." Just a cup of coffee!

They deeply touched my heart - and they made me smile. One elderly gentleman waited in line for his coffee, and when he got close, he said, "I want a half cup of sugar!" At least that's what I thought he said!

I replied, "You want a half cup of sugar?"

He came closer, almost in my face, and put his hand on my arm. With a smile, he said, "I-want-a-half-cup, SUGAR!" Made my day!!

To say the least, those two hours were some of the most rewarding moments of my life, and I look forward to going back next week. It doesn't take talent, or money, or lots of time to say, "Thank you!" to our veterans.

Just a cup of coffee seemed to be enough today!
"I'll gladly stand up - next to you and defend her still today . . .
God Bless the U.S.A."

4 comments:

Alicia The Snowflake said...

What a wonderful way to spend 2 hours! I come from a family of military men. I always think about my sweet grandpa who retired from the army. I am forever grateful for the sacrifice that our men & women in the armed forces make. Thank you for that reminder today!

Robin said...

Hi Glenda- It's so nice to "meet" you! What a sweet story - and what a blessing you were to our veteran's!
Thank you for your support of Brad and Michelle and little Tyler. I miss them so very much. We "talked" to them via skype last evening and it was so nice to visit with them - but what I wouldn't give to hold that sweet baby in my arms!
I know you will enjoy Robin Lee Hatcher's books - we just had her speak at our ladies retreat and she was really great.

JudyBug said...

Another wonderful post Glenda. You just never cease to amaze me at your willingness to serve. You are a blessing to all!

Thanks for your sweet words about Daddy.

JMBMOMMY said...

I agree---it is great to be an American. Cute story!