Monday, December 6, 2010

Our Memory Tree

Our Christmas tree is best described as a memory tree - full of ornaments that we've collected the past 37+ years. You won't find any expensive pieces - not a one - but you'll find some priceless ones! They may be getting a little worn and ragged, but that just makes them more special. Some are homemade, some were gifts, and others we bought. As I put them on the tree, and as we enjoy them during this Christmas season, we are reminded of some very special people and events in our lives. And we realize how blessed we are! God has truly lavished His love and grace into our lives . . . and we are thankful!

Below is one of my favorites . . . an ornament I made in 2001 to honor my parents, Edd and Gracie Knippers. They are no longer here to celebrate Christmases with us, but I have some treasured memories of them. Maybe I'll share some of our Christmas traditions with them in a later post.

My header shows two other very special ornaments, also homemade, of our four grands when they were much younger. They truly bring us so much joy! Merry Christmas Emily, Isaac, Abby, and Aiden! You are gifts from God to us!

I hope that each one of you has a blessed Christmas season. May the gifts of hope, peace, joy, and love fill your hearts and your home during this holy season - and all year long!

How silently, how silently
The wondrous Gift is giv'n!
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of His heav'n.
~Phillips Brooks-1868~

16 comments:

S. Etole said...

Each tree has its own history ... so much a part of our love.

Mrs. M said...

That is what our tree is like too. Not a single ornament is without meaning or memory. I'm not into designer trees. My favorite is one that my mom made with a picture of me and my brother in 1959. I should definitely post it.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your tree is just beautiful, and loaded with years of memories, I love calloing it a memory tree!! The grandchild ornaments in the header are so very pretty! And Christmas is all about remembering, isn't it?

Mari said...

Our Christmas tree is full of memories too. I love looking at those old ornaments every year!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Glenda, Our tree is similar ---in that we give each other ornaments each year... It's so much fun when we decorate the tree to check out all of the memories through our ornaments through the years....

Love your tree. And your header is fabulous.
Hugs,
Betsy

Karin said...

What a great idea to call it a memory tree! Every new young family needs to make their own memories. By the time they left home each one of our children had a box of tree ornaments that were given to them since they were born! That was a lot of fun! Yours looks gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful ornament honoring your parents. I would love for you to share memories/traditions from years gone by with them. Love your grands' photos too. I am thankful for memories. Blessings to you and yours this Christmas season.

Dorothy said...

Your tree is gorgeous! Ours is a conglumaration of ornaments I've collected over the years. I enjoy putting them on the tree each year and remembering how I came by each one. Some were made by my grandchildren who are now in college!

Beth said...

Beautiful, Glenda. Our tree up her was my parents and is full of hand-picked ornaments by mother and special ones given to them. Dad never put it up after her death and I eventually got it. I have added some special ones of my own since then. Priceless are these 'memories'.
I really like the ones you showed close up--quite precious.

Nancy said...

Wonderful thoughts and BEAUTIFUL ornaments! Memory trees are the most beautiful to me!!

Southern Lady said...

Your tree is lovely. I think a tree that holds memories is the most beautiful tree of all! Wishing you a very blessed Christmas! Carla

Carmen said...

Very nice! I've made a lot of my own decorations over the years too. The tree doesn't look warm and inviting without them and the memories they carry.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a beautiful collection of priceless ornaments you have there. I wish you the very Merriest of Christmases this year too!

Dawn said...

We have always had one special ornament each year - I love going through them each year. We bought this year's special one in Bar Harbor, Maine, and now can't find it. It's sad. I can't imagine where it went. I love trees full of memories.

I created my own designer tree a few years ago, but it is in addition to the family one full of memories - the last two years I haven't had or taken the time to put it up.

Kathy said...

Love your memory tree! Those are the best kind. A few years ago I passed all my ornaments down to my daughter and each year she lovingly places all those ornaments (some of them also 37 years old!) on her tree. I'm glad my grandson is now part of that tradition.

Anneliese said...

I like the ornament with your parents picture. My mom has one of my dad, who is not with us any more. and I could tell when she hung it this year, it's very special to her. I like what you say about the ornaments not being expensive but priceless.