Friday, December 31, 2010

Looking Back . . . Moving Ahead

Like turning to look through the back window when traveling,
I look back to where I've been in 2010.
Snapshots of people, places, and events are clear;
the good times, the bad times, and the in-between times -
all are etched in my mind's memory album.

It's easy to see where I've been;
my photo album is full.
But looking ahead the pages are empty -
full of possibility and hope.

Learning from the past, I know that the pages will chronicle my journey
up the hills and down in the valleys,
along winding, quiet country roads
and through noisy, congested traffic.

And although I won't know what's around the next curve
or how many road blocks I'll face,
I don't have to live in fear of the unknown
nor wonder if I'm up to making the trip.

Learning from the past, I have no doubt
that He who traveled with me the past 60 years
will never leave my side in the new year.
The hills and valleys and curves are already known to Him.
No surprises, no impossibilities can thwart His good plans for me.
My Guide can be trusted.

Yes, the pictures of where I've been are clear and in focus.
But I don't have a clue what images will fill the blank pages.
And when confusion and questions and fear creep into my mind,
He speaks Words that bring clarity and stability and keep me focused:

Fear not; for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by name; thou art mine.
When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee;
and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee;
when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned . . .
For I am the Lord thy God.
~from Isaiah 43:1-3~

Songwriter John Newton said it this way:
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come.
Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
and grace will lead me home.

11 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

A beautiful picture. If we didn't have God to trust in for the future, what would we do? We would be so full of fear, of coming darkness, a horrible thought. But He gives the gift of light. What a beautiful picture of the quickly going past. We are, indeed, speeding away at a fast rate.

Dorothy said...

The rear view picture is beautiful, Glenda! I'm sure that with the Lord's leading, the future will be beautiful, as well.
Blessings for a beautiful, peaceful and happy new year!

Southern Lady said...

Happy New Year, Glenda. I am praying that God richly blesses you and your family in 2011. Carla

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenda, Always uplifting to visit with you. I am reminded of the song, "On Christ the Solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand." Wishing you many blessings in the new year.

Karin said...

The Scripture passage you quoted are my life verses given to me at my baptism when I was 11. It is good to be reminded to them often! Have a blessed 2011.

S. Etole said...

I am looking forward to the wisdom and images you share with us here.

Blessings to you and yours this new year.

WhiteStone said...

"No surprises, no impossibilities can thwart His good plans for me."

I love how you phrased that.

We look back with praise. And we look forward with confidence in all God's provisions for our lives.

Arti said...

What a beautiful post... The quote and the poem and the pic all complement each other so well!! Loved every word of it.
Wish you a very Happy New Year:-)

Beth said...

You gave us a beautiful picture and some wise words to accompany it. You always help me with my perspective---looking forward to more of that this year.
Blessings to you on this first day of 2011.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Best wishes for a very Happy New Year!

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I love this post, so reminds me of where I have been. I now face 2011 with God
kim