Tuesday, December 14, 2010

And the prize goes to . . .


All shiny and new
these gleaming prizes would soon be in the hands of the winners -
all of them -
whether they scored in the game or not.
Each boy dressed in black and white was part of the team,
so a tall, bright-blue trophy would be placed in the outstretched hand of each player.

On another day somewhere down the road,
rewards will be handed out -
rewards that will never tarnish
or be placed on a shelf and forgotten.
And each of us wearing a white robe will receive one
whether we were the outstanding player or not.

We'll win the prize
if we obediently press on toward the goal
to which He calls us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the valley is deep
When the mountain is steep
When the body is weary
When we stumble and fall

When the choices are hard
When we're battered and scarred
When we've spent our resources
When we've given our all

Chorus:
In Jesus' name, we press on
In Jesus' name, we press on
Dear Lord, with the prize
Clear before our eyes
We find the strength to press on
~Lyrics to Press On by Dan Burgess~

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Yes---we are all WINNERS --with God at the center of our lives....

I do like the idea of giving something to ALL of the children who participate in sports.

Hugs,
Betsy

S. Etole said...

Such a great message.

Southern Lady said...

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. I can always count on you for great advice. We have been really busy, however I am trying to keep my focus on the reason that I celebrate. To answer your question about Carson's CD...it is just a demo. There are no plans to sell it. It was part of her Christmas present. We were fortunate to have a good friend set it up for us. Of course, she has big dreams! Carla

Dawn said...

Love that song - love the thought. And love the two pictures in the previous post - I'm so behind again!

Ginny Hartzler said...

A beautiful, beautiful devotional!!! What IS the story behind the trophies in the picture? Phil is sitting beside me doing his devotions, and heard your Casting Crowns rendition of "I Heard The Bells". He said it was different from the regular arrangement, so I turned it up and we BOTH listened to it. Of course I hear it whenever I visit you, but he never heard it and really enjoyed it!

Nancy said...

I LOVE this!! Thank you so much for using the beautiful gifts God has give you to encourage so many of us!

Arti said...

A beautiful post... Very nicely penned down...
Loved the poem..
Have a blessed week:-)

Southern Lady said...

Hey Glenda, I just saw your comment about Carson's demo. She is giving copies to anyone who wants one. She is looking for feedback and youtube subscribers. If you want one just email me and I will be glad to mail you one. Carla johncarlahill@windstream.net

Carolina Gal said...

Thank you for your comment on my snowballs!
I look forward to that day when we will stand before HIM!
Selah sings the song you've posted, and it has always been one of our favorites.
I hope you and yours have a blessed and Merry CHRISTmas!
Karen

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Sometimes we do feel like we are pressing on this time of year especially. So much to do and not forgetting the most important prize of all that will be there for us in the end. Jesus born again...Jesus coming again.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Glenda:

Thank you for the encouraging words. I sure needed that today.

Have a blessed Christmas and joyful New Year.